Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Getting there...


...the LORD will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore. --Psalm 121:8


I had a few people today ask me about how I am getting there and where "there" is exactly.  On a side note, I feel like the perception people have is everything is Africa is 3rd world.  Africa is a pretty big place!  I can't begin to say I know anything about it.  I am just starting to figure out where it is I am going! But I can say, that is a very false perception.  Its also not a country people!!  Its a continent!!



Back to how I am getting there....  I leave on Air Canada out of Montreal, QC and fly direct to London, England.  I have a nice little 12 hour layover there.  We might try and catch a few sites or a few Zzzzz, depending on how the flight went and how we deal with luggage at Heathrow.  Then its a 10 hour BA flight from London to Lusaka, Zambia.


Once in Lusaka, its a 5 hour drive north to Kitwe.   Five hours is what our hosts told us and google maps agrees so it must be true.  We are lucky enough that they will be coming to pick us up so we don't have to deal with that last leg except be there.  Come to think of it, I am not even sure if they drive on the right or left side of the road...

Door to door, if you take into account, I will leave my place a few hours before my flight, and some time in Lusaka to get luggage and get to the car and all, I think we are looking at a total of 38 hours, with 21 of those hours moving between cities.  I figure if I can sleep half the time we are moving, I will be content.

The travel is only parts of whats needed to get there.  I have been to the travel clinic twice so far for a total of 7 shots, a few prescriptions, some pretty intense mosquito repellent and a few pills.  Just thought I would toss this in for good measure.





No comments:

Post a Comment