Sunday, April 1, 2012

Day 5 pics... Final day of setup...

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." --2 Timothy 4:7

Well the last day of setup has come and gone.  I am very happy with the end result even though the container with the 10 computers we were waiting for never showed up.  We brought 9 screens and 2 computers with us.  So we made due with what we brought with us..

Here is the first workstation 100% ready to go.  W00t!!   Its all set and has the Internet Cafe splash page.  It felt so good to get this done!
 And here is the second one booting Ubuntu of course.  I never did talk a lot about the workstation systems.  I am using the Ubuntu Kiosk based on 10.04.1.
And its working out very well.  Once configured and locked, the system boots, auto logs in an unprivaledged user and starts Firefox in full screen kiosk mode.  There is nothing else.  Its a great internet kiosk and wonderful on this old hardware.





Even though we only had two computers, all the screens have been installed and bolted to the desk.  We were expecting the container Saturday, so we were ready!  But the container did not show up...

I have trained the local IT guru John K on how to use the open-mesh system and how to setup the kiosks, so once the container does show up, he is ready to run the installs.    Both Pastor John and I would have really much preferred to do this ourselves and finish this completely, but this is Zambia and we need to lower our expectations.  :)  I am very confident John K will do the job wonderfully though.  I feel very good about him being the guy who will do the setup in our absence...  
I  know God has a wonderful plan for this place and I am going to trust him on this.  So now let the container show up when it may.

The place does look awesome right now if I do say so myself.  The new tables, all the screens setup.  We even placed the chairs.  John K has enough installs CDs and bootable USB keys to do all the installs at the same time!  All that is missing are the other computers now.


We ended the day with a beautiful meal at Pastor Paul's house with his family.  John has more pics that i will post later.  Here is part of the awesome spread we had:

There was rice, salads, fried chicken,  this really cool tomato sauce, and a few other things that aren't coming to mind right now. 

Everyone seems to have this mango juice.  Its really good...  its more like mango nectar if we were to compare it to something we have in Canada. 

I have an issue with posting my food here...  When I do, I get hungry again.  Buts its past midnight and so even if I had some of these left overs, it would be a bad idea to eat now.  


Last pic for tonight!  Here is his son with one of the toy fold-able frisbee we brought.  He was tossing it around and having a blast!   :)











 The trip is not over yet.  We just had a pretty awesome and full weekend that I will post about another time and we still have a couple days ahead of us.  Tomorrow morning we leave for Livingston!!  WOOHOO!!  Now I get to have a little vacation on my vacation.   



No comments:

Post a Comment